Friday 25 October 2013

Touring & trying to be Vegan

As it says in my presentation (right side), I am a singer, an Opera Singer to be precise. A lot of the time this means that I am touring or singing in productions at different opera houses around the world. 

(Below)
This is me. And this is how I felt when I was on my first tour after going vegan. As a totally new vegan with little experience and no help (besides internet after a while) it was pretty scary and "impossible" to be fully vegan in those 14 days I was away from home.


I'm hungry! Give me vegan food or I will sing a high C in your ear!
So, being a singer means that I am travelling a lot. I stay at many different hotels and have to find new restaurants close by the opera house (or hotel). This is much harder if you have decided to be vegan. Obviously. At least in countries where vegans are not so common, so I guess some have to be pioneers of sort, for restaurants to take notice. 

My first "vegan-tour" was in Northern Norway. My experience here was that it was really hard to even find places with much vegetarian dishes to choose from. Several place didn't have one single meal I could eat. I had to ask for some fries and a salad, which turned out to be extremely boring and everything I have heard (and feared) about being a vegan. 

In an Asian restaurant I got vegetarian sushi which was good, I also saw a vegetable wok (I don't know if it was vegan though). In my experience in Norway; the best way to make sure you at least get a vegetarian meal is by visiting an Indian restaurant. But then again, not all is vegan. 

I could have eaten vegan if I was only in my hotel room, but I couldn't have cooked anything. It was also limited in what kind of vegan products I could buy in the store (and it is very expensive in Norway). + Not very social. In an opera production you work with an ensemble and it is normal that we eat many meals together. It is not funny to be "the difficult one", and a bit embarrassing when the places we go to have nothing or very limited (and often repeated) dishes available. Or worse, being weird and not joining your colleagues for a meal at all, ever. I don't want to be that "crazy vegan". 


Vegan hotel breakfast is also really boring (at least the places I have been as a vegan till now). They often have alternatives for gluten and lactose intolerance, but not vegan. Yet. I eat lots of fruit, but when you are allergic to much of it, it kind of makes it even harder. 


At this point, this is the result =
I will continue being a vegan, but if I have no other possibilities than being vegetarian or starve, I would obviously eat things with some egg and milk. But only if there is no other way. I hope that I will be better and get experience in how to be fully vegan when on tour. Perhaps you could give me some advice? Have you been away from home in long period of times without kitchen? or do you know the secret password in restaurants to get awesome vegan food. Please share! ;)  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Text Widget

Custom content