Sunday 20 October 2013

Let's bake something! (Paleo bread)

A week ago I talked with my mum on the phone and she talked about Paleo bread. I had never heard about the "Paleo diet", but I were trying not to eat so much wheat, so I became intrigued. After realizing there were NO flour involved in holding all these seeds together I first laughed and then felt a bit adventurous. OK, let's try that (sceeeptical)... But I was surprised! I got a elemental recipe from my mum, but later I have experienced a bit. This is my best Paleo recipe at the moment!

(Also great for Vegans!)



2 tbsp Psyllium powder 
1 1/2 cup /350 ml water
--
100 g sesame seeds
100 g sunflower seeds
100 g pumpkin seeds
100 g flax seeds
100 g walnuts

100 g (optional, you can add another great ingredient? What about hemp seeds?)
--
1-2 tsp sea salt (I use Maldon)
3 tbsp melted cold pressed coconut oil

(Optional: 1 handful raisins or you can add chocolate)




(If you use cup sizes: 100 g is about 1/2 heaping cup)


1. Preheat your oven to 175°C (or 350 Fahrenheit)


2. Mix the psyllium powder with the water in a bowl, stir and set aside for about 5 minutes. (It will get a thick gel consistency).

3. Measure all the seeds and nuts and put in a food processor and pulse two times. (Do not overdo it).

4. Put the hard coconut oil (it's hard) in a cup in the microwave. 

5. Put the coarsely cut seeds and nut in a bowl. Now add the coconut oil and salt. Stir. 

6. Add the gel looking psyllium to the mix and mix it all together with your hands. Yes, your hands, its fun and weird. Have a go!

7. Put the mix in a loaf pan (can be about 12 x 4,5 inches / 30 x 10 cm). I used a small bread form. I also used baking paper in it so I didn't have to worry about it sticking (or using oils). 

(I have heard you can set it aside for about 1 hour if you want to, but that is optional, and I decided to only let it rest for about 15-20 min. You can drop it all together though if you want! It is said that it tastes even better, but I was in a hurry ;) 

8. Put it in the preheated oven (in the middle) and bake for about 60-70 minutes. (If you want small buns you can divide them into about 11-12 pieces and bake them for about 40-45 minutes). 

9. Remove it from the oven and let it cool down (completely). I tried to remove it too early from the form and it started to widen (loose form), so I put it back and let it cool down in the form. When it was almost cold I took it out. If you cut it before it is cold the bread will fall apart. 


Here is some pictures if you are curious how it looks, consistency and how natural it looks! And the best part, it is YUMMY! 

Freeze: You can freeze the bread for up to 4 months. 


Psyllium mixed with water (it turns even more gel like)
All the ingredients are in the food processor 
Put the Psyllium gel and coconut oil in the bowl 

Work it together with your hands!
Give the loaf pan some baking paper clothes

Place it in the middle

Finished! Now cooling off completely !

Cold and awesome!

Bon apetite! It was great!

2 comments:

  1. Det så kjempe godt ut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Og det er det også! Burde prøves! (Kanskje bruke litt mindre psyllium?) Det gjør jeg innimellom.

    ReplyDelete

Text Widget

Custom content